Cinco De Mayo - Honolulu, Hawaii
- Powered by MBC NewsMaker
Pacific Gateway Center Joins Hawaii Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Program.
Pacific Gateway Center is proud to be a community partner in the Dream Fund to provide opportunities to youth immigrants. See press release below.
HAWAII COMMUNITY FOUNDATION AND COMMUNITY PARTNERS ESTABLISH DREAM FUND TO PROVIDE OPPORTUNITIES TO YOUTH IMMIGRANTS
New fund awards $150,000 to nonprofits for collaboration and outreach
HONOLULU -- March 4, 2015 -- Hawaii Community Foundation (HCF) today announced the first round of grants from the DREAM fund to support a Hawaii Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Outreach Program. Established by HCF and its community partners, the fund makes $150,000 accessible to organizations helping thousands of young adults in Hawaii that are eligible to apply for federal DACA relief. The goal of the program is to increase the number of undocumented immigrants applying for DACA status, allowing them opportunities to work, attend school, and contribute to their families and communities within the program's two-year window for deportation deferment.
Since its inception in 2012, the DACA program has provided temporary legal status, employment authorization and protection from deportation to thousands of eligible young adults who arrived in Hawaii as children, grew up here, and graduated high school without documentation of immigration status.
"HCF is pleased to support community organizations that have led the charge in advocating and serving Hawaii's immigrant population over the years. We are confident that by working together, the grantees will reach more young adults and achieve positive outcomes for DACA beneficiaries," said Tammi Chun, vice president of programs at the Hawaii Community Foundation. "Those who will benefit from this initiative are the youth who grew up in Hawaii -- our neighbors, coworkers and children's high school classmates. They call Hawaii home, and through this process, they'll be able to engage in the civic life of our community."
The following five nonprofits were awarded $138,000 in grants to collaborate on outreach efforts for DACA beneficiaries. A final grant will be awarded to the organizations to support coordinated outreach activities.
- Susannah Wesley Community Center (SWCC), in partnership with Child and Family Services, will provide program services, and host meetings and community events at its Kalihi facility. SWCC serves a diverse population of immigrants from the Philippines, Samoa, Korea, Vietnam, Hong Kong, China and Micronesia.
- Aloha DREAM Team, a youth advocacy group with members who have benefitted from the DACA program, will focus on outreach efforts and support of immigration policy reform. Aloha DREAM Team is supported by fiscal sponsor Faith Action for Community Equity.
- Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law and Economic Justice, a nonprofit law firm dedicated to advocating on behalf of low-income, immigrant and minority populations, will support the legal rights of immigrants and advocate for the rights of Hawaii's disadvantaged populations.
- Pacific Gateway Center will provide programs and services to assist immigrants with obtaining affordable housing, food, medical care, religion, legal aid, employment and education.
- Volunteer Legal Services Hawaii, in partnership with Maui Economic Opportunity, will support immigrants to Maui by providing pro bono legal advice.
"We're thrilled to be working with Hawaii Community Foundation and the other DREAM Fund grantees to provide outreach to our DACA-eligible community members," said Shingai Masiya, community advocate and organizer at the Aloha DREAM Team. "Together, we're able to share ideas, provide support and ultimately increase participation in the DACA program to help Hawaii's immigrant youth obtain temporary legal status and become working community members without fear of deportation."
The fund was established in partnership with Unbound Philanthropy, and the following funds at Hawaii Community Foundation: Kamp Fund, Kosasa Family Fund, Omidyar Ohana Fund and Stupski Family Fund.
About Hawai‘i Community Foundation
With 99 years of community service, the Hawai‘i Community Foundation (HCF) is the leading philanthropic institution in the state. HCF is a steward of more than 700 funds, including more than 200 scholarship funds, created by donors who desire to transform lives and improve communities. In 2014, HCF distributed more than $46 million in grants and contracts statewide, including $4 million in scholarships. HCF also serves as a resource on community issues and trends in the nonprofit sector. For more information, visit www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org.
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
| Cinco De Mayo Street Festival Honolulu - Hawaii Master Page |
Learn about the Cinco De Mayo Street Festival - Honolulu - Downtown - Chinatown
| Chinatown Get Down Cinco De Mayo Stret Festival Afterparty Master Page |
Learn about the Cinco De Mayo Street Festival Afterparty.
| Schedule Maps and Guides |
NEW - check out our new interactive maps, restaurants, clothing stores, parks and more... More...
| Event Coupons & Discounts |
Save money with these coupons.
| Cinco De Mayo Street Festival Entertainment / Talent |
Get a vendor booth at the Cinco De Mayo Street Festival and reach thousands.
| Cinco De Mayo Street Festival Facebook |
View/Join Cinco De Mayo Hawaii Facebook
| Cinco De Mayo Street Festival Twitter |
Our mission is to tweet you hot tips and money savers.
- Cinco De Mayo Hispanic Celebration Festival / Block Party 2016 Honolulu - Hawaii Master Page
Learn about the Cinco De Mayo Block Party - Honolulu - Hawaii
- Cinco De Mayo Block Party Entertainment / Talent
View the entertainment featured at Cinco De Mayo Block Party.
TICKETS - Wristbands, After Party Tickets
BUY TICKETS ONLINE AND AVOID THE LINES!
- Cinco De Mayo Block Party Vendors
View some of the featured vendors.
- Schedule, Maps, Guides, Parking, Map
View Cinco De Mayo Block Party event schedule, maps guides and more. More...
- Cinco De Mayo Block Party 2016 Drink Wristbands, Latin Dance Party and Bulk Tickets
Learn about the Cinco De Mayo Block Party - - Honolulu - Hawaii
- Event Coupons & Discounts
Save money with these coupons.